If you have gained a photographic qualification within the last five years you may be eligible for an Exemption - which means you could be awarded an LRPS or ARPS Distinction without having to submit a portfolio.
"”I see the ARPS as the next step in my career. When you get your degree it seems quite final, and as a freelance photographer you can feel as if you're out there by yourself. But being part of the Society and having my Distinction means I feel part of something that's ongoing." Ed Smith ARPS
The only courses recognised for exemption by The Society are as follows:
- HNC / HND in Photography
- BTEC Extended Diploma Photography
- Photographic Foundation Degree
- 2:2 BA (Hons) Degree in Photography
- NCFE Level 3 Diploma in Photography. Must be course code: 601/0377/2
- If you are a current LBIPP
- If you are a current LMPA
- Photography A Level - Grade A or A*
- C&G Level 3 Diploma in Professional Photo Imaging 7512-03 500/6950/0
- C&G Level 3 Diploma in Photography 7512-03 500/8079/9
- C&G Level 3 Diploma in Photography and Photo Imaging 7512-03 500/6949/4
- Also accepted is a combination of any C&G level 3 certificates courses completed that are more or equal to the 400 Guided Learning Hours:
e.g. 7511-31 Level 3 Certificate in Photo Imaging (290 GLH) or 7511-29 Level 3 Certificate in Photography and Photo Imaging (220 GLH)
- OCA Photography (any combination of Two Awards required at level (HE5) or level 3 (HE6)).
- Scuola Romana di Fotografia
- BA Hons Degree in Photography with 2:1 or above
- Combined BA (Hons.) Degree (80% Photography) with 2:1 or above
- OCA BA (Hons) Degree in Photography 2:1 or above
- MA in Photography
- If you are a current ABIPP
- If you are a current AMPA
- If you are a current FBIPP
- If you are a current FMPA
Applying for an Exemption
If you qualify for an exemption (see above) then the next step is to make an application. Please download a copy of the Exemption application form, which is available below. You then need to send the application along with photocopies of all relevant certificates. The accompanying evidence must state your full name, the award gained and place of study.
Courses not listed will not qualify for exemption and all course certificates must have been awarded after January 1st 2011
The Royal Photographic Society's Council then need to ratify your application, this is done on the 10th of each month. After this point the Distinction is awarded and your membership application is then processed. A letter of confirmation, Certificate and lapel badge will be sent within seven working days of the Council Meeting.
Overseas applicants only who wish to apply upon completion of an International course must supply:
· A URL (Web link) to the relevant course details
· A copy of the course certificate
· A link to your personal website (if available)
These details will then be looked into for exemption consideration by The RPS Education advisor. The process can take up to 4 weeks to complete.
Exemption - Guidelines
All the information you need to submit an Exemption application.
Exemption - Application Form
For those that have been approved for Exemption by our Distinctions Department.
RPS Journal Exemptions Feature
Vol. 155 RPS Journal September 2015
The Society supports great new work from international photography students.