If you have gained a photographic qualification within the last ten years you may be eligible for an Exemption - which means you could be awarded an LRPS or ARPS Distinction without having to submit a portfolio
The only courses recognised for exemption by The Society are as follows:
- HNC / HND IN PHOTOGRAPHY
- BTEC Extended Diploma Photography
- PHOTOGRAPHIC FOUNDATION DEGREE
- NCFE Level 3 Diploma in Photography 601/0377/2
- IF YOU ARE A CURRENT LBIPP
- IF YOU ARE A CURRENT LMPA
- PHOTOGRAPHY A LEVEL - GRADE A or A*
- C&G Level 3 Diploma in Professional Photo Imaging 7512-03 500/6950/0
- C&G Level 3 Diploma in Photography 7512-03 500/8079/9
- C&G Level 3 Diploma in Photography and Photo
- Imaging 7512-03 500/6949/4
Also accepted is a combination of any C&G level 3 certificates courses completed that are more or equal to the 400 GLH.
7511-31 Level 3 Certificate in Photo Imaging (290 GLH)
7511-29 Level 3 Certificate in Photography and Photo Imaging (220 GLH)
- OCA (2 Awards required at level 2 or above).
- Scuola Romana di Fotografia
- BA Hons Degree in Photography with 2:1 or above and a 2:2 if you were awarded a 2:1 equivalent in your major project.
- Combined BA (Hons.) Degree (80% Photography) with 2:1 or above and a 2:2 if you were awarded a 2:1 equivalent in your major project.
- MA in Photography
- If you are a current ABIPP
- If you are a current AMPA
- If you are a current FBIPP
- If you are a current FMPA
*Please note The course award must be no older than 10 years, from the year of applying for exemption.
If your course is not listed above, you can send us details of the course for us to review.
Please include course codes & name, awarding body & place of study, guided learning hours, length of course and your final results.
Applying for an Exemption
If you qualify for an exemption (see above) then the next step is to make an application. Please download a copy of the Exemption application form, which is available below. You then need to send the application along with photocopies of all relevant certificates. The accompanying evidence must state your full name, the award gained and place of study.
The Royal Photographic Society's Council then need to ratify your application, this is done once every month. After this point the Distinction is awarded and your membership application is then processed. A letter of confirmation, Certificate and lapel badge will be sent within seven working days of the Council Meeting.
Exemption - Guidelines
All the information you need to submit Exemption application.
Exemption - Application Form
For those that have been approved for Exemption by our Distinctions Department.