Running your own photographic business
This course has been designed to help those wishing to embark on photography as a business; it will not cover any aspects of image making but it will give an understanding of what is involved in running a successful business. Delegates need have no previous business experience to attend the course.
Subjects covered will include:
- Understanding business finance, the importance of maintaining adequate cash flows and the business definition of profit
- What business are you in - portraits/events/weddings/advertising/fine art/stock/architectural photography? Planning your marketing strategy, basic selling skills, advertising, portfolios, copyright matters, websites, computing software for tracking enquiries/ keeping a diary and back up support
- The basic accounting process and how to keep adequate records
- Business structures – sole trader, partnerships or limited companies – which is best for you, and will you need an accountant?
- Compliance; vat, payroll, insurances, corporation and personal taxes
- Creating a business plan. Practical assistance to construct a business plan and prepare a business forecast.
Notes will be provided but delegates should bring along a calculator.
Times: 10am – 4.30pm
Address:The Royal Photographic Society, Fenton House, 122 Wells Road, Bath BA2 3AH
Parking: There is no parking at the RPS on week days but there are spaces available in the surrounding streets. At weekends you can park in the RPS car park which is accessed to the left of the building through a gateway.
Lunch: Tea and Coffee is provided throughout the day but not lunch unless stated. Please bring a packed lunch or use local amenities. There is a delicatessen that offers sandwiches and snacks within walking distance which is open from Monday - Saturdays. There is also the CO-OP, a pub and newsagents open Monday - Sundays.