~~A visit has been arranged to one of the outstanding photographic collections in Scotland. The Johnson family were photographers based in Wick and covered events in the far north of Scotland from about 1860 till the 1970s. The archive at the Wick Heritage Centre contains approximately 10,000 negatives and prints from the business, including many outstanding images of the great days of the herring fleets.
The morning will be spent at the Heritage Centre seeing the images and talking to the team who are conserving and cataloguing the Collection. The rest of the day will include a tour of Wick including the harbour area, Pulteneytown and a visit to the Old Pulteney whisky distillery. Pulteneytown commissioned by Sir William Pulteney, after whom the Pulteney Bridge in Bath is also named, was designed and built by Thomas Telford as a new herring fisheries port and town as an extension to the town of Wick in the early years of the 19th century. It consists of Lower and Upper Pulteneytown where sits the parish kirk opened in 1842. Given the long summer evenings in this part of the world it may be possible to organise an evening visit to some of the nearby archaeological remains.