Introduction to Business for Photographers
This two day workshop focuses on the financial, management and marketing considerations required when starting your own photography business. The tutors are specialists in their fields, members of the RPS and hold ARPS distinctions.
Ria Mishaal is a full-time successful wedding and portrait photographer. She will be offering practical business management and marketing advice to help delegates organise their day-to-day systems and marketing strategies. She will help equip delegates with the tools they need to build an efficient business they are proud of.
Geoff Blackwell is a professional accountant with more than forty years’ experience, much of that time spent advising on small business start-ups. He also holds a Certificate in Professional Photography from Nottingham Trent University. He will provide advice on the financial elements of the business plan, budgeting and pricing, as well as record keeping and basic tax issues.
- Basic Costing and Pricing (links to Marketing, see below)
- Simple (but adequate) record keeping
- Introduction to taxation the for self-employed and part-time self employed
- Form and content of the business plan
- Preparing your budget
- Funding your start up and dealing with Banks
Delegates will receive a copy of a template for a budget and cashflow spreadsheet suitable for inclusion in a formal business plan.
- Contracts and Terms & Conditions
- Client management systems
- Client communications
- Organisation and backups
- Products and packaging
- Efficient image processing workflow options
- Platforms for selling your work online
- Identifying your market
- Building your brand from basics
- Website and marketing material considerations
- Key ways to reach your target market - advertising options
This workshop has been designed for those intending to start a photographic business in the near future or those who have recently started up and feel a need for some support and guidance. No prior business knowledge is assumed.
What to bring
Bring a notepad or computer to make notes and any information about your own business you might want to refer to over the course of the two days. If you do not bring a computer a calculator may be useful but there are no complicated maths – just basic business arithmetic!
Bring a packed lunch or use local facilities. Drinks provided.
Times: 10am - 4pm
Address: The Royal Photographic Society, Fenton House, 122 Wells Road, Bath BA2 3AH
Parking: There is no parking at the RPS on week days but there are spaces available in the surrounding streets. At weekends you can park in the RPS car park which is accessed to the left of the building through a gateway.