Excavations at West Stow, mainly in the late 1950’s, revealed the site of an early Anglo-Saxon settlement, and revolutionised the understanding of the design and construction of timber buildings of this period. From 1973 a continuous programme in experimental archaeology has been in progress, whereby timber buildings of the types indicated by site archaeology have been reconstructed. This process tested, and modified, the understanding derived from site excavation, enhancing knowledge about Anglo-Saxon timber structures. Today the site is a valuable education facility and tourist attraction, but archaeology still lies at its heart, with the reconstructed buildings and a small museum. There is also a cafe.
The site, a few miles from Bury St. Edmunds, is adjacent to the 125 acres of heathland, river and lakes which comprise West Stow Country Park.
The Saxon Village opens at 1000, and our visit will commence at 1030. Subject to sufficient numbers attending, we hope to arrange a guided tour of the site before commencing our photography. Lunch arrangements will be made on or off-site.
Admission is £5 (£3 for over 60’s and children) for entrance to the site, to be paid on the day. The cost will be slightly more if we are able to arrange a guided tour.
Feature photo: (c) Mike Sasse