The Royal Photographic Society Distinctions are recognised as the most prestigious in the photographic world. The Associate is the second level of The Society’s Distinctions and is a significant step up from the first level, the Licentiate.
FINE ART PHOTOGRAPHY: Submissions in this category will consist of photography produced to fulfil the creative vision of the photographer in expressing and sharing perceptions or emotions.
All applications for the Associate and Fellowship Distinctions of The Society will be assessed against the criteria set out in the Associate and Fellowship outline document. The following criteria are in addition to, not instead of, those criteria.
- Images can be produced either solely in the camera, or may be subsequently creatively altered by the photographer.
- Each image in the submission may be based on one or more original photographic images.
- The applicant must own the copyright to, and be the creator of, all the photographic elements in the images submitted. The Society reserves the right to view the original files.
- There is no restriction on the subject matter or techniques used. However, your portfolio should present a cohesive visual statement on your chosen subject or subjects, communicating a clear personal vision or style, and sharing a sense of design, emotion, mood or meaning which encourages the viewer to look beyond the subject.
- Submissions may be based on a single or a small number of themes or techniques, although this is not essential.
- Assessment of your application will include whether it meets the criteria set out in your statement of intent, and whether the techniques used are appropriate and suitably controlled.
All applications for the Associate Distinction of the Society will be assessed against the criteria set out in the Distinction Guidelines.
It is essential that you book onto an assessment day in order for your portfolio of work to be assessed.
It is important to book ahead of time. To book, please complete and return an ARPS application form. On receipt, your assessment will be booked and you’ll receive an email of confirmation.
*Anyone who has applied or applying in 2016 for Creative and Pictorial, that has either received a re-submission or referral will still be able to apply in 2017 for Creative or Pictorial, and if successful will be awarded a Pictorial or Creative Distinction. These applications will be assessed on the same assessment day as Fine Art Photography.
Fenton House is open to the public from 9:00am until 5:00pm Monday to Friday. Portfolio delivery/collection can be made during these times.
Distinctions Cancellation Policy. After submitting your application form, if for any reason you are unable to send your submission or need to make other changes, please e-mail email
. Any cancellations or change requests must be made via e-mail. If you cancel/defer within 14 days of your assessment date you will be fully charged for the assessment. We are unable to offer a refund or deferral. You can request once only to cancel/defer 15 days or more prior to your assessment, without any charge, but all future requests will incur a £25 administration charge.
Hearing and access requirements
Fenton House has Wheelchair access.