Archaeology and Heritage portfoliosSee Member Portfolios
Archaeology and Heritage
Visit to Inglesham and Fairford Churches
Date: 23rd July 11
Location: Inglesham, Wiltshire, SN6 7RD
Contact: Mike Sasse
Phone: 01892 531179
Group: Archaeology and Heritage
PLEASE NOTE LATE CHANGE TO THE DATE - moved from 16th July TO 23rd July, due to clash with major event at RAF Fairford which would have severely impacted on the arrangements.
This outing will visit a group of interesting and very varied churches in the Wiltshire/Gloucester border country north of Swindon. Members will meet at Inglesham Church at 1030, and will then be free to move on as they wish to the other churches mentioned below. There will be an arranged time and place for lunch.
Inglesham church, right on the borders between Wiltshire, Gloucestershire and Oxfordshire, is a historic small church in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust, comprising nave, chancel and south chapel with bellcote. There are box pews and a 16th/17th C pulpit, and much of the woodwork is original.
In complete contrast, at Fairford is a beautiful example of a complete Perpendicular Gothic church, built of Cotswold stone. Externally it has carved stonework, with a number of interesting 'woolpack' gravestones in the churchyard. The highlight is the almost complete set of mediaeval stained glass windows, telling the story of the Christian church.
The churches of Eastleach Martin and Eastleach Turville stand about 200 yd apart on either side of the River Leach, joined by Keble's Bridge. That at Eastleach Martin is in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust. It is Norman in origin but mainly of 13th C date, with some beautiful windows, a Perpendicular octagonal font and 16th/17th C oak pews.
These three location are all about 5 miles apart, and lunch will be taken in the area.
On their way home, participants may like to visit the impressive mediaeval barn at Great Coxwell (Oxfordshire), owned by the National Trust, where a small entrance charge applies.