Archaeology and Heritage portfoliosSee Member Portfolios
Archaeology and Heritage
Visit to West Wycombe Church
Date: 12th March 09
Group: Archaeology and Heritage
Visit to St. Lawrence's Church, West Wycombe, Bucks (HP14 3AP) - map reference SU 827950
Meet 1000 in the car park at the top of the hill in West Wycombe.
Organiser Jim Tonks ARPS (01494 443061). Please phone for enquiries.
We will be able to photograph in the church until 1200-1230 (rubber-tipped tripods please).
The church is set high above the village, with views across the Chiltern Hills. Mediaeval in origin, the church was remodelled in the 18th century by wealthy local landowner and collector Francis Dashwood. The tower is surmounted by a golden ball, a local landmark. The interior architecture takes after that of the eastern Roman Empire, with imitation marble columns and lavishly decorated ceilings. There is a ceiling painting of the Last Supper in the chancel.
To the east of the church stands the mausoleum (no access). The village is attractive and in the care of the National Trust.