28 April 2014
Industry news, Competitions
The winnner of Pink Lady® Food Photographer of the Year 2014 was announced at a packed reception at the Mall Galleries, London, on 23 April 2014, as Tessa Bunney (UK/PDR of Lao) for her stunning image, Noodle Making.
She was presented with a cheque for £5000 by Andy Macdonald, Managing Director of Coregeo, Master Licensor for Pink Lady®
in the UK, headline sponsor of the award.
“The competition was intensely fierce,” says Macdonald, “there were 6000 images entered internationally and the standard was phenomenal. Tessa’s image stood out from the rest, however, for its beautiful composition, the expression of utter absorption on its subject’s face, and the capture of a perfect moment in time as the noodle dough flies through the air.”
The presentation was compered by chair of the judges, journalist and food critic, Jay Rayner, and took place in front of more than 400 people at the Champagne Taittinger reception, many of whom had flown in from across the world for the occasion, from Italy, Germany, America, Guatemala, Poland, France, PDR of Lao, Romania and more.
Pink Lady® Food Photographer of the Year is an international celebration of the art of food photography. In only its third year, entries have doubled since year 1. Not only did the number of entries increase again, but also Twitter followers doubled, as did website visits with visitors coming to the awards website from over 140 countries.
This year’s awards had several exciting new categories. They included the Politics of Food for images showing the realities of food production, won by for Sandro Maddalena (Italy) for Piggeries in Garbage City, Cairo, and unearthed® Food in Film for film shorts, won by Yuki Sigiura for Florentine Animation.
Judges this year include: David Loftus, Jamie Oliver’s photographer, Yotam Ottolenghi, restaurateur, chef and author, Sanjeev Kapoor, India’s culinary superstar, Andrew Scrivani, food photographer/New York Times, Julia Bradbury, TV presenter, Justine Roberts, CEO and founder Mumsnet.
• Cream of the Crop: Louise Lister (Australia), Spanner Crab
• Food in the Street: David Thompson (UK), Making Jian Bao
• Food in the Field: Manuela Ruether (Germany) Blue Sweetheart Cabbage
• Food and its Place: Jonathan Gregson (UK) Coffee Roasting, Rwanda
• Food for Sale: Emma Wood (UK) Potato Stall, Chile
• Food for Celebration sponsored by Champagne Taittinger: Tuan Nguyen (Vietnam) Two Old Ladies preparing Tet Cake
• Food Sn-Apping in support of Action Against Hunger: Peter Cassidy, (UK) Gelati
• Errazuriz Wine Photographer of the Year 2014: Jon Wyand (UK) Dominique Lafon tasting at his cellars
• StockFood Food off the Press: Caroline Martin (Germany) Roasted Pigeons
• unearthed® Food in Film: Yuki Siguira, Florentine Animation
• Philip Harben Award for Food in Action: Tessa Bunney (UK/PDR of Lao) Noodle Making
• Food Portraiture: Nicole Branan (USA) Barbecue Ribs
• An Apple a Day: William Hondokosumo (Indonesia) A Week’s Apples
• Food Bloggers: Aniko Meneghinine Szabo (Italy) Making Strawberry Sauce
• Politics of Food: Sandro Maddalena (Italy) Piggeries in Garbage City, Cairo
• Young 15-17: Lione Clare (USA) Crafting Tortillas
• Young 11-14: Katie Woodhouse (UK) Lollipop Lawn
• Young 10 & Under: Eden Crossley (UK) Cheeky Monkey
Image: © Caroline Martin (Germany), StockFood Food off the Press: Roasted Pigeons