History of our Distinctions

21 February 2014


Interested in how our Distinctions came into being?  Read more in this fantastic seven page article from RPS Portfolio Three written by Carol Mikellides.

"Membership of The Society has always been open to anyone interested in photography. By the 1890s it was felt that competence in the practice anddevelopment of photography should be recognised; consequently, in 1895, the Fellowship (FRPS) was introduced. During the first year, members of The Society were able to claim admission as Fellows without the submission of evidence; of 549 members, 156 applied and were made Fellows. Subsequently members had to submit their qualifications to Council. By the turn of the century an Admissions Committee had been appointed comprising eighteen Fellows of The Society, half to consider qualifications relating to science, and half to consider pictorial qualifications." Read more here.

Image © NMPFT/Royal Photographic Society / Science & Society Picture Library. 
Photograph by Charles Job FRPS 'Below London Bridge'.