Online Member portfoliosSee Member Portfolios
Council Meeting - May 2009
- Published 5th June 2009
Council met on the 19 May at the Soroptimist Club, Bayswater Road, London.
Council considered the next step in the initiative to persuade those members who had resigned to consider re-joining the Society. A suggestion from Compustat was considered whereby they ‘clean’ the data relating to Archived members and then send a letter to these people to try to persuade them to consider re-joining. After discussion it was suggested that the first stage should be to telephone those members who had lapsed rather than resigned since 1 July 2008. This is because letters are sent before a member is lapsed and these have had no result. Compustat and Mr. Bailey would be asked for their opinion on this proposal before proceeding with it. If agreed then Compustat would be asked to produce a script for the telephone calls and agree them with the Society before commencing.
Council considered the possibility of a further membership survey and whether it should be paper or internet based. It was agreed to ask Omni Productions to provide a budget costing for the internet survey. It was also agreed to consider reducing the number of questions.
Council agreed to review the current Corporate guidelines and that the administration of them be brought in house and be included with the other document procedures in the system. A need was identified to review the guidelines relating to the website and for a layman’s guide explaining their use to be produced. Messrs. Robertson, Birch and Dr. Kaye agreed to form a working party to consider all aspects of this task and produce the necessary documentation for the next Advisory Board to be held in September 2009.
Approval was given to the recommendations from the various panels that had sat since the last Council meeting and for those who had qualified through the Exemption process.
Mr. Blake was asked to check that all Regional Organisers were advised of members who had gained their Distinction.
Council agreed to ask Ms. Goode, Exhibitions Manager, to attend the Arles Festival if the necessary bookings could be made.
Council was advised of the current problems relating to the International Print Exhibition catalogue. It was agreed that the catalogue must be reprinted.
Council agreed to award patronage to Southampton and the 7th. Holland circuit. Mrs. Black advised Council of a list of banned entrants and she was asked to pass the list to Ms. Goode to determine whether any of them were members. If they were members then their membership would be reviewed.
Dr. Kaye reported on the meeting with Omni Productions and the fact that once the amended website was completed it would be desirable to up-date the CMS system. Concerning the Visual Journalism Group – Mr. Blake reported that positives responses of help had been received as a result of the letter that had been sent to all members of the Group. It was agreed that Mr. Blake should pass to Mr. Birch details of those members who had replied and Mr. Birch would consider convening an informal meeting.
Council agreed to add the Leica M6 Centenary Camera to the RPS Collection at the National Media Museum.
Mr. Blake was asked to consider arrangements and costings for the March 2010 Advisory Board and other meetings to be held in Bradford over the last weekend in March.
Proposed by Mrs. Wilman that ‘Mr. Walter Benzie LRPS be co-opted as a Trustee of the Society’. Seconded by Mr. Robertson and carried unanimously.
The next meeting will be held on the 23 June 2009 in Bath.