02 August 2016
From 2017, The Creative and Pictorial categories* will merge under a new name, called “Fine Art Photography”
The criteria and Assessment dates for 2017 are detailed below;
FINE ART PHOTOGRAPHY
Submissions in this category will consist of photography produced to fulfil the creative vision of the photographer in expressing and sharing perceptions or emotions.
All applications for the Associate and Fellowship Distinctions of The Society will be assessed against the criteria set out in the Associate and Fellowship outline document. The following criteria are in addition to, not instead of, those criteria.
- Images can be produced either solely in the camera, or may be subsequently creatively altered by the photographer.
- Each image in the submission may be based on one or more original photographic images.
- The applicant must own the copyright to, and be the creator of, all the photographic elements in the images submitted. The Society reserves the right to view the original files.
- There is no restriction on the subject matter or techniques used. However, your portfolio should present a cohesive visual statement on your chosen subject or subjects, communicating a clear personal vision or style, and sharing a sense of design, emotion, mood or meaning which encourages the viewer to look beyond the subject.
- Submissions may be based on a single or a small number of themes or techniques, although this is not essential.
- Assessment of your application will include whether it meets the criteria set out in your statement of intent, and whether the techniques used are appropriate and suitably controlled.
Assessment dates for 2017 are
ARPS - Prints – 15th March, 21st June and 18th October
ARPS – Images for Screen/Books – 16th March, 22nd June, and 19th October
FRPS – Prints/Books – 16th March, 22nd June, and 19th October
*Anyone who has applied or applying in 2016 for Creative and Pictorial, that has either received a re-submission or referral will still be able to apply in 2017 for Creative or Pictorial, and if successful will be awarded a Pictorial or Creative Distinction. These applications will be assessed on the same assessment day as Fine Art Photography.
images by Drew Doggett ARPS, Robert Gibbons ARPS, Michael Palmer ARPS.