19 September 2015
Since being appointed regional organiser, I’ve been working hard to get events off the ground and refresh the Southern Region pages. I hope you like the changes so far and further updates will be added in due course. Thanks to all for your support and encouragement to progress in my new role. Thanks also to those who have submitted images for inclusion on the Southern Region page rotating slider. Emily Mathisen, our website content & community manager at Fenton House has enjoyed uploading them and I’m proud to be able to showcase your stunning images on the RPS website. Thank you and keep them coming!
Events coming up are:
How to produce a good photobook
I wish to thank Brian Steptoe FRPS for agreeing to present a workshop for the Southern Region on 25th October 2015 (11am-3pm) at Winchester Discovery Centre. This coincides nicely with the opening of the second phase of the RPS Photobook Exhibition. He explains that the popularity of the photobook has grown hugely in the last 10 years. This talk and workshop will take attendees from the camera club photobook to the international award winning photobook, showing examples by 'page-turning' videos. Brian Steptoe FRPS has concentrated in recent years on becoming an expert in the photobook genre. He will bring examples of his own and other photographer's winning books for you to browse. There will be a workshop for attendees to try their hand at photo selection and sequencing for photobooks, following the methods used by professionals in the field. Popular photobook publishers, such as Blurb and Bob Books will also be discussed.
Image © Brian Steptoe FRPS
Ice Track Expeditions talk
We also welcome an exciting talk on Wednesday 4th November 2014 (7pm onwards) at The Assembly Room, Chichester from Angie Butler & Carolina Mantella of Ice Tracks Expeditions (www.ice-tracks.com). They specialise in tailor-made voyages to Polar Regions and will talk to us about their voyages and the challenges this brings to the photographer.
Image © Carolina Mantella
Hope to see you all there!
So what else is in store?
Further details to be announced but I am currently considering the following:
- A special guest talk on the subject of copyright, copyright infringement and how to protect your interests!
- An exciting talk & workshop from Lee Filters followed by a tour to the Lee Filters HQ factory!
- It would be great to organise events in The Channel Islands and the Isle of Wight, including distinctions events & photography workshops. I welcome your views on this.
- Photography with a mobile phone ‘Iphonography’ and the use of social media, apps and future trends.
- More distinctions events for the Southern Region mainland.
- And how about an Urban / abandonment photography or ‘Urbex’ field trip? Discussions are on-going with regards the feasibility of a field trip to a site of dereliction.
- Visit to a stately home including Highclere Castle & Gardens, the filming location of Downton Abbey. Further details to follow.
I welcome your ideas!
How about a Southern Region Newsletter?
If anyone wishes to get involved in contributing towards articles and the editing of newsletters please let me know!
PAUL GILMOUR LRPS
Southern Region Organiser