Welcome to the web pages of the Digital Imaging Group. DIG is the largest Special Interest Group of the RPS and was formed in the very early days of digital imaging, when most of us were still using film or slides. Given that there wasn’t much information around on the latest digital camera technology, software and equipment a few early adopters got together to form a group for self help and mutual support. DIG was born. It seems hard to realise that this was in 1996 as it now feels as if digital cameras have been around forever, they are so ubiquitous.
So why do you still exist? - is a common question.
The answer is simple. Because we are still fulfilling a need for our members. Were we not, then the group would be decreasing in numbers and dwindling in all aspects.
The philosophy of DIG is that we endeavour to stimulate, inspire, and exchange information. To continually assist our members in gaining knowledge, just as the original members did. Digital photography continues to evolve, whether that is new software programmes, equipment or techniques.
DIG welcomes photographers from every genre. In our members annual print and projected image competitions you see work from nature to architecture, abstract to wildly creative. When surveyed our members put landscape as their most popular genre, but many shoot a wide variety of differing subjects. So whatever is your preferred subject you will find yourself right at home with DIG members.
Membership benefits include
- DIGIT – the Group's highly acclaimed magazine
- 6 DIG Centres in the UK, based in the South West, Southern, Thames Valley, Cambridge, the NW and Scotland. Each has regular meetings and are enthusiastically attended by local members.
- Free annual print exhibition and projected image competitions.
- National events and workshops.
- A lively and friendly online Forum, with images for discussion and a monthly competition.
- An online archive of all back copies of DIGIT. This is a wonderful library of information as well as an interesting history of the group and digital photography.
- We endeavour to ensure that our overseas members feel part of the DIG Community by featuring individuals in DIG News. By posting their copies of DIGIT out by airmail to ensure they get them as quickly as possible.
Any RPS member can join DIG. Just login to My RPS and in the My Account tab roll down the page and you will see it says ‘Join a Group’ - click on there and tick Digital Imaging Group and for your £15 p.a. you too can enjoy being a member of DIG.
New for 2017! We have introduced an "Online Membership". This means you can join/be a member of DIG for only £8 per annum. The difference between the £15 and £8 is that an online member does not receive printed copies of DIGIT or any printed catalogues we produce. You will be able to view these online only. (For existing members who wish to transfer their membership to an online version, please wait for your renewal to make your choice. We are investigating the possibility of a "change on demand" and will update you as soo as we can.)
Other sections on this page:
Communicating with members
- DIGIT is our high quality magazine that is published four times a year. It is packed with information on the Group's activities, and illuminating articles written by members on their work or experiences in the field.
- In between issues of DIGIT, online members receive the Group's 'DIG News' newsletters, to keep them up to date with current activities and any late changing news.
- The RPS Forum is for the exchange and promotion of ideas, for posing and answering questions, and for the sharing of images and critiques. Importantly, it has a private sub-forum dedicated to DI Group members.
- The Committee page gives contact details for the Group's Committee members, and we are always open to views and ideas from members via this route too.
Annual Print Exhibition
Annual Projected Image Competition
DI Group Centres
- All of the events staged by the national DIG or by any of the Centres can be viewed via the Events button above, when viewed from either the DIG section or any of the DIG Centre sub-sections.
Membership and how to join
RPS Forum - a quick guide
Submit one of your images for the DI Group home page
DI Group members: would you like to see one of your images on the DI Group home page?
We want to keep our home page interesting by changing the main image 'slide show' from time to time. You may have an exciting image that you think will be suitable, and we'd love to see it.
There are one or two things you'd need to know before you submit an image. Firstly, you can see that the images are rather 'panoramic', so we need images that lend themselves to this shape. Also, quite a lot of the image is hidden along the top and bottom margins. We have created a simple template overlay HERE for you to see whether your image will be suitable - it is a simple PSD file with a background and one layer.. The template has the exact pixel dimensions required of your final image.
In simple terms images need to be 1085px x 605 px but only the centre 1020 px x 380 will be fully visible. So choose an image that will be suitable for those sizes.
Please send your images to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you need more detailed guidance - perhaps you haven't yet explored the necessary Photoshop tools - please see our blow-by-blow procedures HERE.