01 June 2015
DVJ Documentary Photographer of the Year 2015
In 1955, Cyril Parkinson famously said something like, “the time it takes to accomplish a task expands according to the time available.” How true when it comes to entering photography competitions. Here at DVJ House we have noticed that Parkinson's Law is alive and kicking as far as the DPOTY competition is concerned.
- We need your entries soon - and lots of them.
This year, the closing date for entries is earlier than last. You only have until 31st August to decide your theme, select your five images, write your 140 word statement and send them to us at DPOTY@rps.org –
see http://www.rps.org/special-interest-groups/documentary-and-visual-journalism/about/dvj-dpoty-2014 or http://dpoty.com/rules for details.
The judges, both members of the RPS, are totally independent and have no direct connection with DVJ.
DVJ is probably a unique photography grouping but you can make it even more special by entering DPOTY 2015. There are plenty of reasons why it makes sense:
- Prizes - good ones. Including a superb compact camera, courtesy of Olympus UK - more details on the DPOTY web site.
- It's FREE to enter if you are a member of the DVJ.
- Winning entries will feature in a dedicated DVJ exhibition to be held in early November in London's most vibrant creative quarter - just off Brick Lane in Spitalfields.
- The exhibition will feature as part of East London Photo Month, guaranteeing a wide audience for your photography.
- All entrants' names will take part in a draw for a free place in one of the master classes we are planning to hold during the exhibition.
- We are looking at sponsorship for other worthwhile prizes that will also feature in a free draw.
- Participation and support will encourage Team DVJ to keep going that extra mile for the membership.
- Plus, it goes without saying, entry will enable you to bask in the critical acclaim of your fellow photographers, friends and family.
We shall be keeping you posted with developments and it's probably a good idea to log on occasionally to the competition's web site which we shall also be updating. http://dpoty.com
The challenge - overwhelm us!
David Cantor, LRPS DPOTY Manager Mo Connelly, LRPS Chair DG