DWEJRA TOWER

Photograph by

Anthony Rowe

About this image

The Dwejra Tower was built in 1652 during the magistracy of Grand Master Giovanni Paolo Lascaris, It is one of the Lascaris towers, It was constructed to act as a watchtower and guard the surrounding areas from oncoming enemies,such as pirate landings. This tower could communicate to nearby defence fortifications through fire and smoke, at night and during the day respectively. The expenses for running the tower were covered by producing salt from the salt pans near by. It was equipped with three 6-pounder guns in the eighteenth century.