Online Member portfoliosSee Member Portfolios
Date: 7th December 13 - 8th December 13
Location: Lacock, Wiltshire
Tutor: Chris Burfoot ARPS
Type: Education Workshops
Cost: £160.00Members Rate: £150.00
Time: Saturday 10am - 5pm/Sunday 10am - 4.30pm
Day 1 Starting from scratch.
- Flash or Continuous light - advantages and disadvantages.
- How a studio flash works.
- Setting up a portrait with a single light.
- Changing the quality of the light with simple accessories.
- Placing the main light. Using a simple reflector.
- Using a flash meter and setting your camera.
- Adding a second light.
- Light control accessories.
- Hair/background lights.
- Getting more depth into your portraits.
- Using a main and fill light.
- Balancing light sources with a flashmeter.
- Lighting a white background - not lighting a black one!
At each stage plenty of time will be allowed for taking your own photographs.
Day 2 The next step.
- Softboxes - stunning portraits with a small softbox.
- Positioning lights and subjects.
- The inverse square law - don't panic!
- Using larger softboxes to create lovely soft lighting.
- Hard, high contrast lighting. Mixing hard and soft light together.
- Lighting for full length. The white background, for children and contemporary portraiture.
- Camera viewpoint.
- Using a lightbank as a huge soft light, a white background and a Ringflash!
This course is supported by Hasselblad and Broncolor and Visatec equipment is used throughout but many of the techniques are the same for other makes of lighting. You will need to bring with you A film or digital camera that can be set to manual (shutter speeds and apertures) with a standard Hot Shoe or a PC connection socket. Please Note: Digital compact cameras are generally not suitable for this course and many are unable to fire.
What to bring
DSLR Camera (able to set manually)
Suitable portrait lens 85-135mm equivalent.
Memory card extra cf card if they want to try a Hasselblad!
Pen and paper
Minolta/Sony camera user will require a standard hot shoe adapter.
Packed lunch or use local amenities
Pictures taken on the course are for personal use. Model Release forms are available for a fee of £10 paid direct to the model on the course.
Click here for map